Celebes Rainbow | Juvenile
- Minimum Tank Size: 20 gal (76 L) – A tank of 50 – 60 gallons is advisable for a school of 6 or more of these active swimmers.
- Substrate Type: Small Gravel
- Lighting Needs: Low – subdued lighting
- Temperature: 72.0 to 82.0° F (22.2 to 27.8° C)
- Range ph: 7.0-8.0
- Hardness Range: 10 – 20 dGH
- Brackish: Sometimes – A little salt in the water, can help a lot.
- Water Movement: Moderate
- Water Region: Middle – The Celebes Rainbow will mostly inhabit the middle of the aquarium.
The Celebes Rainbowfish is one of the less widespread rainbowfish species and is native only to the streams of Sulawesi, Indonesia. It lives in very large schools in areas with dense vegetation, so it is an ideal candidate for the planted aquarium and especially enjoys the cover of floating plants. Males display iridescent yellow and blue coloration on their bodies and fins, particularly while competing with other males. The second dorsal and anal fins of males become very extended and fan-like with maturity. Females are typically smaller and somewhat less colorful, but still very attractive.
Scientific Name: Marosatherina ladigesi
Adult Size of fish – inches: 3.0 inches (7.62 cm) – This fish will reach 2 to 3 inches (5 – 7.5 cm) in length.
Lifespan: 4 years – Can have a life span of about 3 to 5 years when kept in a well maintained aquarium.
Aquarium Hardiness: Moderately hardy – Hardy in the right conditions
Aquarist Experience Level: Intermediate – Easy to take care of if all needs are met.