Congo Tetra | Juvenile
₹425.00 – ₹4,425.00 /Pack
- Minimum Tank Size: 40 gal (151 L) – This fish should be kept in groups of at least 6 and requires plenty of swimming space.
- Suitable for Nano Tank: Sometimes
- Substrate Type: Any
- Lighting Needs: Low – subdued lighting – Low lighting and a shadowy tank setup will bring out this tetra’s best coloration.
- Temperature: 73.0 to 82.0° F (22.8 to 27.8° C)
- Breeding Temperature: 77.0° F – These fish will spawn at 77 to 82.4° F (25 to 28° C).
- Range ph: 6.0-7.5
- Hardness Range: 4 – 18 dGH
- Brackish: No
- Water Movement: Moderate
- Water Region: All – These fish will swim in all areas of the aquarium.
Congo Tetra in nature approaches 4 1/2 inches. However farm-raised varieties, though full finned and rich with color, will generally not grow beyond 3 or 3 1/2 inches. They have long, flat bodies with large scales. This fish shows amazing rainbow luminescence along the whole body from back to front. They are generally blue on top, red and gold in the middle, and blue on the belly. Males also have long, flowing fins that are violet with white edging. The male’s tail fin is long and flowing along the vertical medial line.
These African characin fish are found in the upper reaches of the River Congo in Zaire. They populate streams, tributaries, pools, and marshes, preferring murky, slightly acidic water. The Congo tetra generally congregates in areas with tall vegetation, few trees, and substrates made up of sand, silt, and mud. Swimming in large schools, the Tetra feed on worms, crustaceans, insects, plant matter, and algae.
Scientific Name: Phenacogrammus Interruptusis
Adult Size of fish: 3.4 inches (8.51 cm) – The males get up to 3.5 inches (8.9 cm) while females reach up to 2.75 inches (6 cm).
Lifespan: 5 years – They have a lifespan of 3 to 5 years.
Aquarium Hardiness: Moderately hardy
Aquarist Experience Level: Intermediate