Rummy Nose Tetra | Juvenile
- Minimum Tank Size: 15 gal (57 L) – A 15-gallon or larger aquarium is needed for a small school.
- Suitable for Nano Tank: Yes
- Substrate Type: Any
- Lighting Needs: Moderate – normal lighting
- Temperature: 72.0 to 82.0° F (22.2 to 27.8° C)
- Breeding Temperature: 79.0° F – A temperature of 77 to 82° F (25- 27.7° C) is best for breeding.
- Range ph: 5.5-6.8 – A ph of 6.0 to 6.5 is best for breeding. This blackwater native is very intolerant of harder, alkaline water. Peat filtration is advisable.
- Hardness Range: 2 – 8 DGH
- Brackish: No
- Water Movement: Moderate
- Water Region: All – These fish will swim in all areas of the aquarium.
The Rummy Nose Tetra is a popular choice for live plant keepers and Discus fish keepers. The rummy nose tetra is very peaceful and can make excellent community tank mates if housed with similar-sized and non-aggressive species. These fish shoal, so they do best in schools of at least 6 or more and may stress if not provided with hiding places and plants. They have a red-colored nose and it can be quite striking to see a school of them swimming around a tank. The larger the shoal, the better the display. Don’t be tempted to overstock your tank though, Rummy Nose tetras enjoy having plenty of swimming space.
Scientific Name: Hemigrammus Rhodostomus
Aquarist Experience Level: Intermediate
Size of fish – inches: 1.8 inches (4.50 cm)
Minimum Tank Size: 15 gallons (57 L)
Aquarium Hardiness: Moderately Difficult